What is Psoriasis?
Psoriasis is an autoimmune condition affecting the skin. It causes the rapid build-up of skin cells, creating scaly, bumpy patches where skin cells can multiply up to 10 times faster. These patches are often found on the body, face, or scalp and can cycle through dissipating and flaring up.
Psoriasis requires an accurate diagnosis from a qualified care provider, as it differs from eczema and other skin conditions, which will help guide treatment. The causes of psoriasis are not simple, but flare ups can be triggered by stress, weather, lifestyle choices, and smoking (one more reason to quit).
There is no simple cure for psoriasis, but working with a trusted healthcare provider to identify triggers and making lifestyle changes can help to lessen psoriasis symptoms. Many people who suffer from psoriasis notice that treating with alternating topical products is an important part of the plan. We’ve consulted with some of our favorite practitioners to give you the scoop on natural options for soothing your psoriasis.
Our Top Picks for Psoriasis
Hemp Soothe Salve contains licorice, calendula, comfrey, plantain, St. John’s wort, burdock, thyme, Tocopherol and Hemp (oil and full spectrum extract). It is scented with essential oils of frankincense, lavender, geranium and peppermint among others. These essential oils are also considered effective for soothing symptoms of psoriasis. This is our go to for adults with psoriasis. Check it out here.
Touchy Skin Salve contains licorice, calendula, comfrey, plantain, St. John’s wort, burdock, thyme, and Tocopherol. It is unscented, containing no essential oils, which makes it gentle on damaged skin.
Citrus Grove Ultra Healing Body Butter uses luxurious, organic, fair trade shea butter to moisturize skin. We love shea butter for psoriasis because of its richness and ability to penetrate rough dry skin. This delicious butter is scented with essential oils of sweet marjoram, bergamot and benzoin, providing grounding aromatherapy while it nourishes skin.
Advanced Nightly Face Oil/Serum contains tamanu oil which many people find helps reduce the severity of their psoriasis.
Amazing Herbs, Amazing Skin
Natural Herbs for Psoriasis Treatment
Here is a short list of herbs that herbalists and naturopaths find helps their patients with psoriasis. More proof that Herbs Are Amazing!
- Glycyrrhiza glabra (Licorice) root- anti-inflammatory and immunomodulating herb that supports the liver; supports the white blood cells of the immune system without over stimulating them
- Cannabis sativa (Hemp)- Omega fatty acids help skin to rebuild; Chronic damaged skin from the plaques and scales of psoriasis affects the nerves of the skin, hemp extract can address the nerves specifically (Hemp Extract), although the pathways of this action are still being researched and identified
- Calendula officinalis (Calendula)- Inflammation modulating, along with Yarrow, Chamomile; helps replenish ceramides in the skin
- Symphytum officinale (Comfrey)- speeds healing of cracked skin and wounded areas of chronic psoriatic plaques
- Plantago major (Plantain)- inflammation modulator brings down inflammation so healing can go forward
- Hypericum perforatum (St. John’s Wort)- flowers address nerve pain
- Arctium lappa (Burdock)- cooling; as a bitter herb, provides anti-inflammatory properties
- Galium aparine (Cleavers)- detoxifying to inflammation of skin
- Thymus vulgaris (Thyme)- antibacterial, antiviral & anti-fungal to prevent infection that can occur when skin integrity is compromised
- Tocopherol (Vitamin E, Non-GMO)- heals the skin to prevent scarring
- Boswellia carteri (Frankincense)- inflammation modulator- decreases inflammation to promote healing
- Shea butter– natural, effective moisturizer; thicker & heavier to provide deep moisture, which is especially important for dry patches of psoriasis
- Essential oils are different from whole herbs and botanicals because they are very concentrated, so there are essential oils specifically recommended for psoriasis that sometimes differ from the recommendations regarding the whole plant or cold extracted oil. Some essential oils that we have seen recommended by aromatherapists and herbalists for psoriasis are lavender, geranium, peppermint, sweet marjoram, bergamot and frankincense.
Natural Psoriasis Treatments
Natural psoriasis treatment often has multiple components, including keeping skin healthy and moisturized. Though our trusted practitioners are happy to speak on which herbs are good for psoriasis, please be sure to check in with your healthcare provider for other ways to help treat your psoriasis naturally. Are you a person with psoriasis with experience, strength, and hope to share? Please comment below!
Click here for more information about Ora’s Touchy Skin Salve for Psoriasis and Eczema
About Ora’s Amazing Herbal:
Ora’s Amazing Herbal creates all natural skincare for the whole family: face masks, scrubs, face oil serums, lip balms, salves, body butters, body powders, body oils, along with natural skin care for babies. Each of our botanical skincare products are made in the USA with sustainable ingredients and eco-friendly packaging. We pride ourselves on effective, natural skin care using only the highest quality herbs and essential oils. All of Ora’s natural skin care products are free from: synthetics, dyes, lanolin, gluten, grains, talc, parabens, fillers, preservatives, and animal testing. Learn more about our story here.
If you have any questions, please don’t hesitate to reach out as we’re always happy to help.